- Responsible Office: Athletics
- Current Approved Version: 04/11/2018
- Policy Type: Local
Policy Statement and Purpose
Virginia Commonwealth University Athletics is committed to maintaining its position as one of the nation's premier collegiate athletics programs. Although on-the-field success is an important component of this goal, VCU's status as a premier collegiate athletics program depends on its ability to find continued success on the field while maintaining an environment that promotes the highest levels of integrity. Accordingly, VCU Athletics is committed ensuring that its athletics programs operate in a manner that is consistent with NCAA, Atlantic 10, and Virginia Commonwealth University rules and regulations.
All student-athlete employment must be pre-approved by the VCU Athletics Compliance Office. This is done to ensure compliance with all pertinent NCAA Rules and Regulations.
Noncompliance with this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. VCU supports an environment free from retaliation. Retaliation against any employee who brings forth a good faith concern, asks a clarifying question, or participates in an investigation is prohibited.
Who Should Know This Policy
Student-athletes, employers, coaches, athletic administrators
A student who participates on a varsity athletics team becomes a student-athlete when:
- The individual officially registers and enrolls in a minimum full-time program of student and attends classes in any term of a four-year collegiate institution’s regular academic year (excluding summer);
- The individual participates in a regular squad practice or competition at a four-year collegiate institution that occurs before the beginning of any term;
- The individual officially registers, enrolls and attends classes during the certifying institution’s summer term prior to the individual’s initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution; or
- The individual reports to an institutional orientation session that is open to all incoming students within 14 calendar days prior to the opening day of classes of a regular academic year term.
Any person or organization that employs one or more people
The Athletics Department officially interprets this policy. The Athletics Compliance Office is responsible for obtaining approval for any revisions as required by the policy Creating and Maintaining Policies and Procedures through the appropriate governance structures. Please direct policy questions to the Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance and Student Services.
Policy Specifics and Procedures
The Athletics Compliance Office is responsible for coordinating all aspects of student-athlete employment. All employment of student-athletes at any time must be approved by the head coach and administered through the Athletics Compliance Office. No student-athlete is permitted to start employment until the appropriate documentation is on file with the Athletics Compliance Office. Student-athletes must be paid at the same rate paid to other employees performing similar work in the same locale. The employer must agree to maintain accurate time sheets and payroll records and agree to supervise and monitor the job performance of the student-athlete. The Athletics Compliance Office is required to monitor the employment of the student- athletes during the period of employment. This could include phone interviews with employers and on-site job inspections. Student-athletes are required to inform the Athletics Compliance Office immediately of the offer or receipt of any benefits not regularly available to all employees.
Per NCAA Bylaw 15.2.7, earnings from a student-athlete’s on- or off-campus employment that occurs at any time is exempt and is not counted in determining a student-athlete’s or in the institution’s financial aid limitations, provided:
- The student-athlete’s compensation does not include any remuneration for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that they have obtained because of athletics ability;
- The student-athlete is compensated only for work performed; and
- The student-athlete is compensated at a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services.
The proper process for a student-athlete to receive approval for employment is enumerated as follows:
- The student-athlete will inform their head coach of their desire to seek employment.
- The student-athlete will obtain and fill out the Student Athlete Employment Form located on ARMS Software and complete the form it its entirety.
- Upon obtaining employment, the student-athlete must present the employment form to their employer for review and obtain a signature verifying the employer’s understanding of applicable NCAA Bylaws.
- The student-athlete must submit the completed form with the attached employer signature through the ARMS Software portal to the Athletics Compliance Office for its review.
- The Athletics Compliance Office will provide final approval, and will subsequently conduct follow up phone conversations and/or on-site employment checks as needed.
- Student-Athlete Employment Form (located on ARMS Software)
There are no related documents associated with this policy and procedures.
This policy supersedes the following archived policies:
There are no FAQ associated with this policy and procedures.