Sponsored Programs Proposal Submission Deadlines
- Responsible Office: Sponsored Programs, Research and Innovation
- Current Approved Version: 05/31/2017
- Policy Type: Administrative
Policy Statement and Purpose
Proposal Submission Deadlines
The Proposal Submission Deadline policy is intended to incorporate a sufficient time period to allow for review and submission of all requests for externally funded sponsored programs. Proposals are reviewed at the Department, School and OSP levels. Approval signatures are required at the School and OSP levels.
|Submission Type||Date & Time|
Due to OSP (# of business days prior to sponsor)
|Items Required for Submission to OSP|
|Hard Copy/Paper Submission||5 Business Days 9:00 a.m.||Paper copy of Institutional Approval Form (IAF), Conflict of Interest (COI) Form, line item budget and full sponsor-required proposal|
|VCUeRA Submissions||5 Business Days 9:00 a.m.||Proposal created in VCUeRA System|
|Non-VCUeRA Electronic Submissions||5 Business Days 9:00 a.m.||Finalised Electronic Proposal uploaded to the VCU's Filelocker site (https://filelocker.vcu.edu). E-mailed internal documents sent to firstname.lastname@example.org|
Noncompliance with this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. VCU does not tolerate any form of retaliation against an employee who brings forth a good faith concern, asks a clarifying question, or participates in an investigation.
Who Should Know This Policy
All individuals involved in sponsored programs are responsible for knowing this policy and familiarizing themselves with its contents and provisions.
An application for funding that contains all information necessary to describe project plans, staff capabilities, and funds requested. Formal proposals are officially approved and submitted by an organization in the name of a principal investigator. A proposal (application) can be considered an offer to do business, and requires the signature of an institution's authorized official.
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time and excludes weekends and university holidays.
The Office of Sponsored Programs officially interprets this policy. The Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for obtaining approval for any revisions as required by the policy Creating and Maintaining Policies and Procedures through the appropriate governance structures. Please direct policy questions to the Office of Sponsored Programs.
Policy Specifics and Procedures
The Principal Investigator is strongly encouraged to notify their Department Fiscal Administrator/Grants Administrator of their intent to submit a proposal as soon as the decision is made. This prior notification is especially important in the following instances:
- Large, complex programs
- Multi-project programs, involving other VCU departments and/or other institutions
- Unusual terms and conditions referenced in the funding announcement
- Limitations on the number of institutional applicants (Note: Limited applications are handled via the Policy on Limited Submissions Programs)
- Requests for deviations from Institution, School or College policies or practices
- New initiatives involving significant resources requiring School/Department approvals
OSP Log-In and Queue Process
OSP records the date and time received for all proposals. Review queues are established based on date/time received. Proposals received after 5:00 p.m. are logged in the next business day. E-mail notifications are sent to the individuals on the contact list for the proposal.
Special Information on NIH proposals: OSP initial review of proposals will continue to be based on a first- come, first-served basis. Submission priority will be based on proposals that are reviewed and complete (with all final PDFs) as well as already-submitted proposals that need corrective action. Timely response to OSP review staff questions and requested changes will ensure your place in the submission queue.
Proposals not meeting the OSP deadline are logged in the same manner as above; however, the proposal is recorded as late in the VCUeRA system. The proposal is added to the review queue. Proposals received without adequate time for review may not be submitted.
- Policy on Limited Submissions Programs
This policy supersedes the following archived policies:
- 10/22/2012 Sponsored Programs Proposal Submission Deadlines
- The Sponsor has established a deadline date with a time of 8:00 p.m. Eastern time. Will OSP allow me to work later on my proposal and submit just before the 8:00 p.m. deadline?
No. OSP interprets all Sponsor deadline times to be no later than 5:00 p.m. on the due date.
- My proposal is due in three (3) days and has not yet been submitted to OSP. Will OSP still accept my proposal for review?
Yes. Your proposal will be placed in our review queue. While OSP will make every effort to review and approve your proposal, all proposals received earlier than yours for the same due date will be reviewed prior to review of your proposal. Your proposal will be recorded as a late submission.
- Can OSP just review my budget documents without any other proposal documentation?
No. Budget review is just one aspect of OSP’s review of the proposal. All business, administrative, and background aspects (cover page, budget, budget justification, sponsor- required forms, biosketches, checklists, etc.) of the proposal should be submitted in final form. The technical section of the proposal may be in draft form.
- If my proposal is submitted to OSP on time but my final technical section is late,when is my proposal submitted?
Your proposal will be placed in the submission queue when the final technical proposal is received and the proposal is ready for submission, i.e., all questions answered, etc. All other complete proposals already in the review and submission process will be submitted prior to final review and submission of your proposal.