Proposal To Approve VCU Policies On Other Sources Of Academic Credit
- Responsible Office: Records and Registration, Strategic Enrollment Management, Office of the Provost
- Current Approved Version: 09/13/2011
- Policy Type: Board of Visitors
Approve the policies regarding other sources of academic credit to include Advanced Placement Tests of the College Entrance Examination Board (AP), International Baccalaureate Diplomas (IB), Cambridge Advanced examinations (A/AS), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Undergraduate Credit by Exam, and Military Service Credit (ACE, DANTES).
General Assembly§ 23-9.2:3.8 requires institutional governing boards to implement policies that "grant undergraduate course credit to entering freshman students who have successfully taken one or more International Baccalaureate (IB), Advanced Placement (AP), or Cambridge Advanced (AlAS) examinations" (emphasis added to indicate the change).
With regard to the addition of the Cambridge exams, institutional policies shall satisfy the following requirements:
- Each institution shall outline conditions necessary to grant IB, AP, or AlAS credit, including minimum required scores on examinations for courses.
- Policies for granting credit for standard and higher level IB or AlAS examinations shall be comparable to those for AP examinations.
- Governing boards shall report adopted policies to the State Council of Higher Education and publicize such policies on the institution’s website (taken directly from SCHEV letter, dated 9/13/2011).
The purpose of this request is to be in compliance with the statue and to anticipate further board approval of "other sources of academic credit."
VCU process for approving these policies: The Vice Provost for Instruction is the official notification point for AP, IB, A/AS, CLEP, ACE, and DANTES credit for all university programs. Working with individual units where credit is equated, the Transfer Center staff proposes course equivalents for test scores earned on the individual examinations. Tables are produced indicating the Examination, Test Score, VCU
Course Equivalent and VCU Credits (see link for the attachments). The tables are presented to the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UUCC) for approval. After approval from UUCC, the tables are presented to the President and Vice Presidents, the Academic Affairs committee of the University Council, University Council, and Board of Visitors. Upon receiving internal VCU approval, and on behalf of the VCU Board of Visitors, the information is to be sent to SCHEV and posted on VCU's website.. The Virginia Commonwealth University Board of Visitors gives the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee the authority to review these sources of academic credits needed. The UUCC will report substantial changes to the board for further approval.