Occasional Meals for Student-Athletes
- Responsible Office: Athletics
- Current Approved Version: 04/11/2018
- Policy Type: Local
Policy Statement and Purpose
All occasional meal requests must be pre-approved by the VCU Athletics Compliance Office. This is done to ensure compliance with all pertinent NCAA Rules and Regulations.
Noncompliance with this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. VCU supports an environment free from retaliation. Retaliation against any employee who brings forth a good faith concern, asks a clarifying question, or participates in an investigation is prohibited.
Who Should Know This Policy
Athletics administrators, coaches, student-athletes, representatives of athletics interest
An infrequent meal provided to a current student-athlete.
Representative of Athletics Interest
An individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to:
- Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program;
- Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
- Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
- Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or
- Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.
A student who participates on a varsity athletics team becomes a student-athlete when:
- The individual officially registers and enrolls in a minimum full-time program of student and attends classes in any term of a four-year collegiate institution’s regular academic year (excluding summer);
- The individual participates in a regular squad practice or competition at a four-year collegiate institution that occurs before the beginning of any term;
- The individual officially registers, enrolls and attends classes during the certifying institution’s summer term prior to the individual’s initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution; or
- The individual reports to an institutional orientation session that is open to all incoming students within 14 calendar days prior to the opening day of classes of a regular academic year term.
The Athletics Department officially interprets this policy. The Athletics Compliance Office is responsible for obtaining approval for any revisions as required by the policy Creating and Maintaining Policies and Procedures through the appropriate governance structures. Please direct policy questions to the Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance and Student Services.
Policy Specifics and Procedures
A student-athlete or an entire team in a sport is permitted to receive an occasional meal in the locale of the institution on infrequent and special occasions from the team, a representative of athletics interest, or an institutional staff member. VCU Athletics has defined an infrequent basis to be three occasional meals per month. The team is permitted to provide a student-athlete with not more than two occasional meals per month, while a representative of athletics interest or an institutional staff member is permitted to provide one additional occasional meal per month. An institutional staff member is also permitted to provide reasonable local transportation to student-athletes to attend such meals. A student-athlete or an entire team in a sport is permitted to receive an occasional meal from a representative of athletics interest on infrequent and special occasions provided it is either at the representative’s home, on campus, or at a facility regularly used for home competition. Meals provided by a representative of athletics interest may be catered, and reasonable local transportation may be provided by the representative as long as the occasional meal takes place at the representative’s home.
Any individual who would like to host or provide an occasional meal must submit a completed Occasional Meal Approval Form to the VCU Athletics Compliance Office prior to the meal taking place. The Occasional Meal Approval Form can be found on the compliance software. Once the Occasional Meal Approval Form has been reviewed, the VCU Athletics Compliance Office will notify the host whether or not it has been approved. The VCU Athletics Compliance Office will document all occasional meals to ensure they are kept to an infrequent and special occasion.
- Occasional Meal Request Form (located on ARMS Software)
There are no related documents associated with this policy and procedures.
There are no FAQ associated with this policy and procedures.