Faculty Sick Leave Reporting
- Responsible Office: Faculty Affairs, Office of the Provost
- Current Approved Version: 07/30/2014
- Policy Type: Administrative
Policy Statement and Purpose
The Faculty Sick Leave Reporting Policy applies to faculty with 12-month, 11-month, 10-month and 9- month appointments. Most faculty are identified as either teaching and research (T & R) with 9/10- or 12-month appointments or administrative and professional (A & P) with 12-month appointments. See the Procedures below for reporting sick leave use.
Noncompliance with this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. VCU supports an environment free from retaliation. Retaliation against any employee who brings forth a good faith concern, asks a clarifying question or participates in an investigation is prohibited.
Who Should Know This Policy
The following groups are responsible for knowing this policy and familiarizing themselves with its contents and provisions:
Senior Vice Presidents
T & R – Teaching and Research Faculty
A & P – Administrative and Professional Faculty
Personal Sick Leave – This leave is used for personal illness or injury and health-related appointments.
Family Medical Leave – Family and medical leave provides benefits and job protection for eligible faculty with qualifying personal or immediate family members’ serious health conditions under the provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) – The program applies to eligible faculty who participate in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). This leave provides sick leave, family and personal leave, short-term and long-term disability benefits and a long-term care program.
Virginia Retirement Systems (VRS) – One of the retirement plans in which faculty are eligible to participate.
The Office of the Provost officially interprets this policy. The Office of the Provost is responsible for obtaining approval for any revisions as required by the policy Creating and Maintaining Policies and Procedures through the appropriate governance structures. Please direct policy questions to the Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention. General and specific questions about this policy can be answered in your Vice President’s office.
Reporting Sick Leave Use
- A & P faculty report sick leave use in one-hour increments
- Reporting sick leave use for T & R faculty varies based on their contract appointment:
- Twelve-month faculty report sick leave use in one-hour increments.
- Nine- and 10-month faculty report sick leave use in four- and eight-hour increments.
- Time is self-reported to department chairs who will have timekeepers enter the hours of sick leave used.
- Schools and units that do not have a departmental structure will utilize their existing personnel organizational structure to report faculty sick leave.
- Faculty members with a history of frequent and/or prolonged illness may be asked to provide a health care provider’s certification.
- There may be other circumstances that qualify for family and medical leave and require medical certification. For more information, please refer to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) on the VCU Human Resources website.
- Faculty participating in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) also must provide medical documentation to UNUM, the third-party administrator, after seven consecutive days of absence to qualify for short-term disability benefits. For more information on VSDP, please refer to the VCU Human Resources website.
- Deans and department chairs should discuss with faculty regarding what, if any, work versus leave time is requested prior to the faculty member beginning a leave of absence. The appropriate Senior Vice President/Vice President must approve such arrangements before final approval is given to the faculty member.
- Sick leave may be used for any personal illness or injury, exposure to contagious disease and medical appointments. Sick leave also may be used for some family illness/death occurrences if the faculty member is in the traditional sick leave plan. For more information, please refer to VCU Human Resources’ faculty leave website.
Full-time 9/10-month T & R faculty who participate in the traditional sick leave plan receive 48 hours (six days) of sick leave at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. For more information, please refer to the “Quick Reference for Faculty Leave (Accrual Rates/Maximum Carryover/Payment on Separation)” on the VCU Human Resources’ web site at http://www.hr.vcu.edu/media/hr/documents/Accrual_Rates-Maximum_Carryover.pdf.
Nine/10-month faculty who participate in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) should refer to the “Quick Reference for Faculty Leave (Accrual Rates/Maximum Carryover/Payment on Separation)” on the VCU Human Resources’ web site at http://www.hr.vcu.edu/media/hr/documents/Accrual_Rates-Maximum_Carryover.pdf.
Following is information on sick leave accrual for 12-month faculty:
- Traditional Sick Leave Plan
- This leave is used for personal illness or injury and health-related appointments.
- There is no limit to the number of sick leave hours that faculty may accumulate. The university does not pay faculty for their unused sick leave balances when they terminate employment.
- For more information, please refer to VCU Human Resources’ faculty leave web site at http://www.hr.vcu.edu/payroll-and-leave/leave/faculty-leave/.
- Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP)
- This program provides sick leave benefits to full-time 9/10/12-month faculty who participate in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS).
- For more information, please refer to the VCU Human Resources’ faculty leave web site at http://www.hr.vcu.edu/payroll-and-leave/leave/faculty-leave/.
There are no forms associated with this policy and procedures.
- Faculty Roles and Rewards Policy
- Faculty Handbook
- Faculty Leave – Human Resources
- Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) – VCU Human Resources
- Faculty Salary Administrative Guidelines
- Family and Medical Leave – Human Resources
- Leave Sharing – Human Resources
- Leave Types and Guidelines: A Resource for Faculty, Classified Employees and Timekeepers – Human Resources
This policy supersedes the following archived policies:
Revision/Approval Date Title
Initially Approved: 11/13/2003 Faculty Sick Leave Reporting
Current Revision Approved: 07/30/ 2014 Faculty Sick Leave Reporting
There are no FAQs associated with this policy and procedures.