Employee and Affiliate Identification
- Responsible Office: Human Resources, Division of Administration
- Current Approved Version: 09/17/2018
- Policy Type: Administrative
Policy Statement and Purpose
The purpose of this policy is to describe the employee identification system at VCU.
Virginia Commonwealth University maintains an identification system to provide an effective and efficient means of identifying employees and affiliates of the institution. Proper employee and affiliate identification helps to provide a safe and secure campus environment for employees, affiliates, students, patients and visitors.
Noncompliance with this policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. VCU supports an environment free from retaliation. Retaliation is prohibited against any employee who brings forth a good faith concern, asks a clarifying question or participates in an investigation.
Who Should Know This Policy
All employees (including faculty) are responsible for knowing this policy and familiarizing themselves with its contents and provisions.
These are individuals who are affiliated with the university but are not paid employees. Affiliates may include retirees, clinical faculty, staff of temporary-help agencies and contractors who provide services to the university.
VCU Human Resources officially interprets this policy and is responsible for obtaining approval for any revisions as required by the policy Creating and Maintaining Policies and Procedures through the appropriate governance structures. Please direct policy questions to VCU Human Resources.
Policy Specifics and Procedures
- VCUCard: The VCUCard is the official identification (ID) card for employees and affiliates of VCU and the VCU Health System/VCU Medical Center. The VCUCard includes a color photograph of the individual, the person’s name and a unique account number that complies with international identification standards.
The institution will issue one VCUCard for each individual who shows proof of identity and current employment or affiliation at VCU.
The VCUCard Office issues the appropriate type of card based on information received from VCU Human Resources, VCU Health System Human Resources and VCU Records and Registration databases. The office also provides the VCUCard Terms and Conditions to new employees and affiliates.
- Displaying and Using the VCUCard: The following conditions apply to individuals issued a VCUCard:
Employees who work in patient care areas must display their VCUCard with photographs and names easily visible.
While on institutional property, individuals must carry and show their VCUCard to any VCU employee upon request. Failure to comply with a request to provide sufficient VCU identification may result in an individual's removal from the premises and/or disciplinary action.
- Department Responsibilities: Failure to comply with the following departmental responsibilities may result in liability for the department and/or the university:
Ensure timely posting of employee and affiliate records in the Banner Express Hire database so that a VCUCard can be issued promptly.
Ensure that all employees and affiliates receive a VCUCard upon employment and that they understand the ID card’s uses.
Negotiate with university service providers for privileges associated with the VCUCard.
Initiate online separation actions in a timely manner to eliminate VCUCard system access by individuals no longer employed by or affiliated with the university.
There are no forms associated with this policy and procedures.
- VCU Guidelines for Separating Faculty and Staff
- VCU Guidelines for Separating Non-Benefited Employees
- VCU Guidelines for Separating Due to Death in Service
- VCUCard Terms and Conditions
- VCU Affiliate User Guide
This policy supersedes the following archived policies:
|January 16, 2009||Employee Identification|
|August 21, 2012||Employee and Affiliate Identification|
|August 10, 2015||Employee and Affiliate Identification|
There are no FAQ associated with this policy and procedures.