- Responsible Office: Athletics
- Current Approved Version: 01/01/2012
- Policy Type: Administrative
NCAA Bylaw: 12.3.1 Use of Agents, General Rule.
An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if they ever agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing their athletics ability or reputation in that sport. Further, an agency contract not specifically limited in writing to a sport or particular sports shall be deemed applicable to all sports, and the individual shall be ineligible to participate in any sport.
Forms Used for Documentation
- Agent Questionnaire
- Guidelines for Agents
- Agent Day Registration Form
Individuals and Departments Involved
- Compliance Office
- Any interested agents
- Director of Athletics
- Virginia Commonwealth University student-athletes may not have contact with sports agents until they have exhausted their eligibility or declare their intent to forego any remaining intercollegiate athletics eligibility and turn professional.
- Agents must register with the Virginia Commonwealth University Compliance Office prior to contacting student athletes.
- Agents must demonstrate that they are properly licensed by the State of Virginia.
- Any written correspondence sent to student-athletes in care of their coaches should be submitted to the Compliance Office.
- All written correspondence from properly-registered agents will be distributed to student-athletes when their eligibility has been exhausted.
- Each agent that would like to make contact with Virginia Commonwealth University student- athletes must become properly licensed in the State of Virginia.
- Each agent must then register with the Virginia Commonwealth University Compliance Office prior to contacting any student-athletes. They register by filling out the Agent Questionnaire which can be mailed or faxed to them or downloaded from the Athletics Department Website.
- Each Agent Questionnaire will be kept on file in the Compliance Office.
- All written correspondence to current student-athletes should be sent to the student-athlete in care of the Compliance Office .
- The Compliance Office will hold the correspondence on file until the student-athlete has exhausted their eligibility at which point the correspondence will be given to them.
Note: The policy document provided to the Integrity and Compliance Office is undated. The Current Approved Version Date above is an estimate based on the date of the development of the university's Policy Library.